Skipper - Tresco Boats
We’re looking for a qualified, hard-working & confident skipper for our commercial 12-seater jetboats and large passenger vessels, providing year-round vital boating services between the islands for residents and visitors.
Department: Tresco Boat Services
Reporting to: Head Skipper
Salary: Competitive with rent free accommodation
Hours: Full Time
Contract Length: Permanent
- Responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of any vessel under your command
- Managing the health, safety and comfort of all passengers, including school children
- Responsibility for any crew on larger boats, ensuring correct PPE is used
- Communication by phone and radio with the boating office, coastguard & other vessels
- Reporting all defects to the Marine Engineer & Head Skipper
- Assisting passengers and luggage on & off the vessel in a safe & controlled manner
- Money handling, collecting tickets & fares
- Taking responsibility to balance and prioritise conflicting demands while working under pressure
- Ensuring you maintain a clean and tidy vessel
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with staff, community, visitors and passengers
- Assisting other areas of the business if required
Our Ideal Candidate
- Must have Boat Master’s Licence Tier 1 Level 2 of higher with a passenger endorsement
- Be willing and able to undertake local licence endorsements and any other further training required
- Able to manage flexible workloads at different stages of the year
- Have good communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Willing to undertake a DBS check
- Confident and able to give clear instructions
- Willing to work a rota pattern which in summer includes early starts, late finishes & weekends
Working & Living Here
We offer excellent rates of pay, provide all staff with accommodation and pay for your travel from Penzance at the beginning and end of your contract period. All of our staff are paid at National Living Wage or above, and many positions offer gratuities and the option of paid overtime. We know a good team member when we see them, and there are regular opportunities for progression within our business.
Tresco and Bryher have small and welcoming communities and share a small school, located on Tresco.
Besides getting to work on a beautiful island with the beach on your doorstep, you’ll also receive extensive benefits. These include 20% discount in our shop and restaurants, complimentary boat tickets and free use of camping equipment to explore the islands, and preferential rates in our holiday accommodation so friends and family can come and visit.