Autumn Nature & Birdwatching Break
Discover the wild side of Tresco with a four-night nature break on Tresco amidst a russet-toned, peaceful island autumn.
Autumn on Scilly sees various migrating species use the island as a stop-gap during journeys further afield.
Explore two different islands taking in pools, coves, and the world-famous Abbey Garden. You’ll spend a day and a half discovering Tresco (including a morning in the Abbey Garden) and a day on rugged St. Agnes.
The itinerary may change to take advantage of the weather conditions or sightings of something special around the archipelago, but an approximate itinerary is below:
Day 1 - A guided tour of the Abbey Gardens with free time to explore further on your own.
Day 2 - Exploring Tresco: We will spend the morning looking around the Great and Abbey pools, the largest pools on Scilly, that attract a wide range of water birds throughout the year. The flora in this area is a typical Scilly mix of native and naturalised and is often a good place to look for migrant and resident butterflies and maybe a dragonfly or two. During the afternoon we will be walking the byways on the eastern side of the island, where again we will be searching for some of the species that make the island's wildlife so famous. Any sheltered corner could be home to warblers, flycatchers and chats and who knows what else. The group are welcome to come together and join Will for dinner.
Day 3 - Exploring St Agnes: The small fields and rocky beaches of St Agnes create a very different ambience to the other islands. Spend time exploring both the western side of the island with its many beaches and the pool area and the island's southern side, Wingletang Down, looking out towards the Western Rocks and the Bishop Rock lighthouse.
You’ll join islander Will Wagstaff in exploring Scilly’s ecosystem. Will delights in sharing his love for, and knowledge of, the natural history of the islands.
As a leading ornithologist, Will has played an active role in conservation across the islands, having worked with the Wildlife Trust and currently acting as Honorary President and Chairman of the Isles of Scilly Bird Group.
The Spring Nature & Birdwatching Break takes place from 21st - 25th October 2021 and includes:
- Four nights' dinner, bed & breakfast accommodation at The New Inn, Tresco
- Unlimited access to the Tresco Island Spa
- Access to Tresco Abbey Garden, including a private tour
- A day-long guided tour of Tresco with Will Wagstaff, followed by a group dinner
- Daytrip to St. Agnes (including boating) and a guided tour of the island with Will
- Complimentary transfers between Tresco Heliport and The New Inn on arrival and departure for those travelling with Penzance Helicopters (For those travelling by Skybus, a return transfer service from St Mary's is available for £34 per person)