Taking into account White Island on St Martin’s northern tip, the island has an area of 237 hectares and a population of around one hundred and thirty. Along its south-western coast is a long stretch of glorious white sand and even St Martin’s rugged north-eastern coastline harbours one of the finest beaches on Scilly. Its economy is typically Scillonian: farming; fishing and predominantly tourism.
St Martin’s possesses a very successful flower-farming business, as well as a general stores, a diving-school, a campsite, an award-winning bakery, an award-winning fish and chip restaurant and one of Britain’s most remote vineyards. St Martin’s is a highly accomplished and beautiful island.
The island has two quays, which are situated at Lower Town (next to the hotel) and Higher Town. Its most recoginisable feature is the red and white striped daymark, built in 1683.